Gary Fisher 02
1. When was this photo taken?
in the 1990s
2. Where was this photo taken?
San Bernadino Mountains, California
3. Who took this photo?
4. What are we looking at here?
The photograph is of a hillside against a clear sky, where the scale and location are purposely ambiguous. The photograph is one of a ongoing series of enigmatic, minimalist landscapes that I started making in the 1980s.
5. How does this old photo make you feel?
Isolated, a part of nature and yet separated from it.
6. Is this what you expected to see?
7. What kind of memories does this photo bring back?
That the photograph taken over 20 years ago is consistent with my vision for this ongoing series.
8. How do you think others will respond to this photo?
Some might think "Why did he take this?". Others might wonder if they are looking at a near mound or hillside or at a faraway mountain taken on earth or possibly by a mars rover. The photograph purposely poses more questions than it answers.