Michael Staresinic 02
1. When was this photo taken?
August 8-9, 1999
2. Where was this photo taken?
3. Who took this photo?
4. What are we looking at here?
People queue for gas in the shortages following the 1999 Kosovo War.
5. How does this old photo make you feel?
Certainly another era is upon us. I was glad to have captured what was going on and not often seen elsewhere.
6. Is this what you expected to see?
I spent much of the 1990s photographing ceremonies in Africa. I thought the 50 rolls of undeveloped film I have are of those ceremonies. I was happily surprised to find 20-year old images of Serbia.
7. What kind of memories does this photo bring back?
Slobodan Milosevic threw Serbia into chaos by driving to war in Kosovo. The already weak economy of this pariah country (not a member of the UN or other international bodies) experienced isolation and hyper-inflation. People struggled for basic daily needs. This was the last weekend of a 2-month lull after the war and the renewed start to opposition to Milosevic.
8. How do you think others will respond to this photo?
People will be curious about content and context. Why only young men only seem to be queuing? Can we learn anything about them from their gestures and interactions?
- Michael Staresinic
- Image Size
- 1700x1109 / 629.7KB