Melanie Chapman 01
1. When was this photo taken?
Approx. August, 2001
2. Where was this photo taken?
3. Who took this photo?
Melanie Chapman (me)
4. What are we looking at here?
My son Ethan and my former Step-Sister's son Bo cooling off from the late summer heat in Missoula, Montana.
5. How does this old photo make you feel?
Melancholy for a time when these now young men were still boys, when we were more connected as family, when it seemed summers in Montana would be a regular routine for my son, as it was when I was a kid.
6. Is this what you expected to see?
I had no idea what was on these rolls, or even when they were made, so I had no expectations, just curiosity.
7. What kind of memories does this photo bring back?
I remember being a child myself, spending my summers in Missoula with my dad and large extended family. We had a big log cabin in a canyon and a teepee and lots of extra hippies living with us at various times.
This image reminds me of the Missoula County Fair, of being a child, of feeling free. That all went away when my dad and step mother got divorced.
8. How do you think others will respond to this photo?
People will see two kids eating sno-cones, they will not be able to see the that the space between them will widen in the next two decades so that they no longer know each other.