Elaine Martin 02
1. When was this photo taken?
Some time after 9/11
2. Where was this photo taken?
outside a Manhattan firehouse
3. Who took this photo?
4. What are we looking at here?
a flag draped tribute to the fallen firefighters on 9/11, with candles flickering below and a shadow/echo of the FDNY insignia above. The flash of the camera sends an evocative and fraught burst off the framed photo...shocking and harsh.
5. How does this old photo make you feel?
took my breath away; shattered emotions and memories of that day in New York. Loss and sadness, American pride
6. Is this what you expected to see?
No. I barely remember taking the photo, but it must have caught my eye and heart.
7. What kind of memories does this photo bring back?
Beyond the obvious tragedy of 9/11, I acutely remember the thousands of photos draped everywhere to help families and friends find their loved ones. People vanished. In this photo, the tragedy is remembered but not a photo of a person is evident.
8. How do you think others will respond to this photo?
The flash is jarring, and the orange coloring is hot. The color is sort of an echo of the terror. The flag provokes multiple associations. Shattered emotions. Haunting.
- Lost Rolls America
- Image Size
- 1700x1109 / 728.1KB
- Contained in galleries
- Lost Rolls: The Archive